DEVOTION: Nehemiah 8:1-12 English Standard Version (ESV)
CALENDAR FOR THE WEEK:
Mon- worship 6:30
Tues- Quilting 9-2
Wed- Oak Point Worship 10am; Choir 7pm
Thurs- Karate 6:15-7:45
Sat- Men's breakfast 8am (rescheduled from this past Saturday)
Sun- Adult Bible Class 8am; Traditional Worship 9; Fellowship, Sunday school and adult Bible class 10:15; Chapel 10:45;
Acolyte- Cierra Figura
Worship assistant- Steve Mauch
Projectionist- Cara Klaustermeier
Altar clean up- Terry McKenzie
Acolyte- Dulci Rahn
Ushers- Rich Talbert, Tom Linke, Don Hance, Kent Jacobsmeyer
Communion assistant- Rich Talbert
Lay reader- Don Nolte
Projectionist- Tammy Miller
Altar- Cheri Hofeldt
Tellers- Team #4
Acolyte- Jared Cluver
Worship assistant- Jason Cluver
Projectionist- Sarah Cluver
YESTERDAY'S QUIZ: What were Joseph's two dreams about?
1. Joseph told his brothers that they were in the field binding sheaves when his sheaf rose up and stood upright and his brothers sheaves bowed down to his sheaf.
2 The sun, moon and 11 stars bowed down to him. Genesis 37:5-10
Thanks Don Nolte!
TODAY'S QUIZ: When Jacob (Israel" pronounced his "blessings" upon is sons, what did he say about each of them?
WORSHIP TONIGHT AT 6:30!! IF YOU MISSED YESTERDAY YOU STILL HAVE A CHANCE TO GET GOD'S WORD IN YA!
We'll be reviewing the accounts of John the Baptist, Jesus' baptism and Jesus' temptation!!
MEN'S BREAKFAST THIS SATURDAY AT 8AM!
Biscuits and gravy
ANOTHER GOOD IDEA ABOUT SUNDAY SCHEDULE!!!!
10:45 and MONDAY WORSHIP IS LIKE BIBLE STUDY AND WORSHIP ALL ROLLED INTO ONE!!
Even if you went to the 9am service, you won't be disappointed if you stay for the 10:45 service. You can stay for the first part which includes a few songs, confession and absolution, and Bible readings/study; and then leave after the study/sermon time is done because you've already had communion.
NEW MEMBER LUNCHEON JANUARY 27, AT NOON!!
We want to welcome all of the new members we received in 2018, and help them to feel at home at St. John's. Please plan on attending the new member luncheon to do so, along with the new members, The RSVP sheet is on the counter in the narthex or you can call the church office to let us know you're coming.
SUMMARY OF LAST WEDNESDAY'S STRATEGIC PLANNING MEETING
- We talked about our Mission Statement and made a few minor adjustments to it. It is a work in progress.
- We talked about our strengths and weakness. Our main strength is that we are founded and centered on God's Word and Sacraments. That's what sets us apart and makes us different than most other churches.
- Then we made some goals. These are SMART goals meaning they are Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely.
- A 5% increase in Bible study attendance by the end of the year.
- Add two more adult Bible studies on Sunday morning or during the week by the end of the year.
- 10% increase in worship attendance from 2018 to 2019.
- Two additional community outreach events.
These are some great goals to shoot for! The only way these things are going to happen and be done well is if the members of St. John's family get excited about their church family, get out and participate in them and do them.
All that being said, here are some steps to take to fulfill these goals as set forth:
- If anyone is willing to be a host, facilitator, or leader for a Bible study please contact me and we can talk about it. I will give you all the tools and support you need!
- Get to worship and invite people to come with you. It's as simple as that.
- If there is something you'd like to do in the community; whether it be outreach, evangelism, or fellowship please contact me to talk about it and, once again, I will give you all the tools, resources, and support you need.
For the TRINITY FIRST LUTHERAN SCHOOL FAMILY IN MINNEAPOLIS, where my sister Mary teaches, as they mourn the loss of their campus pastor, Pastor Maki.
For those dealing with cancer and treatments JOHN MORRIS, father in law of Elise Morris; GEORGE HOELSCHER, PASTOR RON LEHENBAUER, MARY BREUER, MARI GILB, TONI MAUCH'S BROTHER RAY, and hundreds off others who are dealing with this dreaded disease. .
For BETTY SUTOR who is in the nursing home but is dealing with severe weakness.
For FAITH, a baby of one of Karin's bus driving friends who has kidney failure.
For DIANNE FELDKAMP'S SISTER, DONNA MAYES, who has been diagnosed with ALS, and her other sister, DEBBIE BURGER, who has been diagnosed with Grave's disease.
PRAYERS FOR OUR MILITARY PERSONNEL:
For COLTON FIGURA AND DANNY DREYER who are both home but remain on active duty in the military.
For CONNER FIGURA going through tech training for the Air Force. .
For DAVID TATE stationed in Japan, and ALEX WALTERS, stationed in Tennessee. That God would bless their service to our country and keep them safe as they all await possible deployment.
For CALEB FIGURA AND VINCE MASTERS who are both serving our country in the National Guard and take time out of their