DEVOTION: Romans 8:18-27 English Standard Version (ESV)
18 For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us. 19 For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God.20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of him who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth until now. 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because[a] the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
I've read and reread this whole passage so many times that I almost have it all memorized. It is filled with such comfort and peace. I just love it. Let me just make a list of the things it says that give us hope.
- "Our present sufferings aren't worth comparing to the glory that is to be revealed to us." There is no comparison of good vs. bad. Eternal life will be so great that we won't even remember our trouble and suffering here on earth.
- "the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to corruption and obtain the freedom of the glory of the children of God." There will come a day when the creation will no longer have to suffer the consequences of our sin. No more global warming (if there is really such a thing). No more 103 degree days. No more predators hunting prey. No more death. All will rise to new life and live forever. Even your pets will live forever!
- "as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies." Our bodies, yes the bodies we have right now, will be redeemed and restored. They will not be like our earthly bodies, which are doomed to death, but will be free of sin and the constraints of it. What you don't like about your body will no longer be. Your body will be the way God intended it to be. Whatever that is, is yet to be revealed.
- "For in this hope we were saved." This "hope" is the redemption of all of us, body and soul, by Jesus. There is no other or greater hope!
- "26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. 27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because[a] the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God." You don't need to speak words to pray. In fact, even when you aren't praying consciously, the Holy Spirit is. He is praying for what you need. Isn't that crazy? It is good for us to pray for our own good, but even when we don't, God, the Holy Spirit, knows what we need and is working to give it to us minute by minute, day by day. That is such a great comfort. All of the responsibility is off of me and on the eternal, omniscient, omnipresent, Almighty God of the universe. I'm set!
Now go out and enjoy your day in peace knowing that God is taking care of you all the way to paradise and beyond!
Prayer: Lord, thank you for taking care of all my needs and giving me a certain hope that will never fade away. Amen.
Wed- Little Lamb's Summer Camp 8:30-11:30; Pillowcase Dress Sewing 9:30- Noon; Ladies Aid Luncheon at Denny's 12pm; CHOIR PRACTICE 7pm
Thurs- Little Lamb's Summer Camp 8:30-11:30; Karate 6:15-7:45; Grief Support Group 7pm
Fri- Little Lamb's Summer Camp 8:30-11:30
Sat- Men's Breakfast 8am; Fence Painting at Turning Point 9am; Worship 5pm
Sun- Worship 8:30; Sunday school 9:45; Worship 11am
________________________________________________________________WORSHIP WORKERS FOR THIS WEEK:
Acolyte- 8:30- Loren Howard; 11- Gus Klaustermeier
Ushers- Allan Dreyer, Lew Feldkamp, Kent Jacobsmeyer, Paul Klover
Altar- Set up- Ruth Walters; Clean Up- Cheryl Bettlach
Elders- Sat- Randy Fischer; 8:30- Don Turnure 11- Dave Winter
Greeters- 8:30- Don and Donna Sherman; 11- Charlie and Lynn Figura
Lay Readers- Sat- Steve Robine??; 8:30- Jacob Nagel; 11- ????
Organist- Rachel Fisher
Sat Pianist- Molly Hendershot
Projectionists: Sat- Toni Mauch, 8:30- Terry McKenzie 11- Dawn Sherman
YESTERDAY'S QUIZ : In Isaiah 51:7 it says, "Hear me, you know what is right; you people who have my law in your hearts."
What does God, speaking through Isaiah, mean when he says this?
From Don Nolte: "The people were not only informed how and why they were right with God, but this law or teaching was also in their heart, motivating and shaping their lives. While all people have the law written in their hearts, not all recognize its presence and the God who wrote it."
We call this our CONSCIENCE. Some have so beaten down their consciences that they can't hear or listen to them anymore. Others have destroyed their consciences with the world and its many vices straight from Satan. LISTEN TO YOU GOD GIVEN CONSCIENCE TODAY!!
TODAY'S QUIZ: Why do you think God wants us to continue to observe a "Sabbath"?
PILLOW CASE DRESS SEWING FOR AFRICA THIS WEDNESDAY 9:30-NOON!
Come and help even if you don't know how to sew!! It's a very fun time!!
LADIES AID LUNCHEON THIS WEDNESDAY AT DENNY'S AT NOON!
Come and join them ladies!!
CHOIR PRACTICE TONIGHT AT 7PM! Everyone is invited to join them!
The next one will be Thursday, July 27 at 7pm!
OUR FIRST FIFTH SUNDAY CELEBRATION DAY IS COMING UP ON SUNDAY, JULY 30!
Here's the schedule:
(No worship on Saturday)
Sunday school and Bible Class 9am
Festivities, Activities, and Potluck 11am-1pm
All are asked to bring either a side dish or salad to share for the potluck.
Be ready to meet some new brothers and sisters in Christ!!
ALEC AND RACHEL FISHER'S LAST SUNDAY WITH US WILL BE JULY 30!!
Alec Fisher (the guy who preached while I was on vacation) has received a call to be a pastor in Maryland, therefore Rachel Fisher's (our organist) last Sunday to play organ and violin for us will be July 30. We would like to thank them both for their service to St. John's these past two years with cards and gifts on that day. Please consider bringing a gift to the 5th Sunday celebration on Sunday, July 30 at 11am to show them your appreciation! They, along with their beautiful children, will both be greatly missed.
GRIEF SUPPORT GROUP THURSDAY AT 7PM!
This group is for anyone and everyone experiencing grief, whether it be a new grief or one that has been lingering for weeks, month, or years. We'd love for you to come and share and find peace in the mutual consolation and prayer of fellow grievers.
We'll meet in the overflow.
TRAVELING FELLOWSHIP GROUP TRIP COMING UP!!! GET YOUR TICKETS TODAY!
LITTLE LAMS ENROLLMENTS IS FILLED UP!
ANNUAL RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVE AT ST. JOHN'S COMING UP THURSDAY, AUGUST 3!!!
Volunteers are needed to set up and take down before and after and during the drive to sign people in when they come. Call Terry at 456-2888 to sign up! You can make an appointment to donate at redcross.org. Walk ins are always welcome too.
Any nonperishable food items, diapers, toiletries, etc.!!
Perishable food items can be taken directly to Agape at 713 Powell St. in Warrenton. Call 456-4645 to find out when they're open or for more info.
For LOIS FRICK as she recovers from a mild stroke she had yesterday. She is at St. Joe's Hospital in St. Charles for observation.
For FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF BILL SHOEMAKE, brother of Chrissy Groeber, who passed away last Sunday night. Visitation 4-8pm Friday at Martin Funeral Home. Memorial Service 11am Saturday at Martin.
For CAL TAMELER as he awaits much needed surgery on his legs. Surgery is scheduled for August 8.
PRAYERS FOR OUR MILITARY PERSONNEL:
For SAM HARGROVE deployed in Amman, Jordan and DAN DREYER deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan, that the Lord would keep them safe from harm during their service and bring them home safely.
For DAVID TATE stationed in Japan, COLTON FIGURA stationed in California, and ALEX WALTERS, stationed in Tennessee. That God would bless their service to our country and keep them safe as they all await possible deployment.
For CALEB FIGURA AND VINCE MASTERS who are both serving our country in the National Guard and take time out of their lives, jobs, and families to go on duty several times a year.