DEVOTION: Acts 2:14 English Standard Version (ESV)
Peter's Sermon at Pentecost
14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them:
36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified."
37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" 38 And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself." 40 And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation." 41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.
"The promise is for you and your children." With these words Peter brings salvation to all people; no matter the age, gender, or race. The promise is that if you believe, repent, and are baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, you WILL receive the Holy Spirit. It's that simple.
If you repent of your sins, that means truly turn from all your obstinate selfish, world centered thoughts, ideas and actions, and turn to the Lord, and if you are washed of those sins you are saved and will live forever with Jesus!
It is no wonder that those who heard this message for the first time were so excited. It is THE most wonderful message you can hear! It is a message that changes hearts and lives forever! It is a message that brings peace and joy! It is a message that saves!
I can only imagine the sea of people standing there waiting to be baptized by one of the apostles. I can imagine the Word of the resurrection spreading like wildfire. It must've been quite a wonderful experience!
I often imagine and dream of St. John's being filled, once again, with people eager to hear the good news and receive Christ. I dream of hundreds of people in Warrenton coming to repent and be baptized for the forgiveness of sins and the reception of the Holy Spirit. I long for the day when I have too much work to do!
Until that day, I ask you to pray for your church, that it would catch fire again! Pray for yourself, that the Holy Spirit would use you to witness to the love, forgiveness, and eternal life of Christ. Pray for our community, especially those who don't know or have the saving work of Christ in their lives, that somehow and some way they would hear and believe! PRAY THAT ST. JOHN'S GETS PACKED SO FULL THAT WE HAVE TO BUILD A BIGGER SANCTUARY! It can happen if the Lord wills. But mostly pray that the Lord works his saving work in you and everyone around you through you.
Let us pray: Lord, grow our church! Make those who are members witnesses to those who are not so that they may hear of your love and fforgiveness and believe and be saved!
Tues- Quilting 9-2
Wed-Oak Ponte worship 10am
Thurs- Newsletter assembly 1pm
Sat- Worship 5pm
Sun- Worship 8:30; Sunday school 9:45; Worship 11am
______________________________________________________________________WORSHIP WORKERS FOR THIS WEEK:
Acolyte- 8:30- Abby Vossen; 11- Luke Rausch
Ushers- 8:30- Rich Boeger, Don Hance, Don Tate, Doug Walters
Altar- Set up- Linda Callies; Clean Up- Lynn Russell and Elaine Schauer
Elders- Sat- Randy Fischer; 8:30- Randy Sweet, 11 Charlie Figura
Greeters- 8:30- Erv Yoder; 11- Al and Karen Benton
Lay Readers- Sat- Sandra Perricone; 8:30- Erv Yoder ; 11- Karen Benton
Organist- Rachel Fisher 8:30 and 11
Sat Pianist- Barb Dreyer
Projectionists: Sat- Kathy Fischer; 8:30- Schaumberg; 11- Lydia Miller
Find a Psalm or a verse of a Psalm that asks God to deliver from enemies. Psalms 10, 11, 13, 15, 52 and many others. Thanks Don!
TODAY'S QUIZ: Find a Psalm that was NOT written by David.
JOB OPENING FOR OUR CHURCH SECRETARY. RESUME DEADLINE IS THIS SUNDAY, APRIL 30!!!
Starting salary $25,000 plus benefits including health insurance.
Resumes are now being accepted. You can email them to pastor or bring them in to pastor at his office. Interviews will take place once all resumes are received. The name of the person that the interview committee chooses will be brought to the voter's assembly for approval on Sunday, May 21.
Please email resumes to me or bring them in to my office.
Below is the Job Description
Please note that a lot of the work requires proficiency in several different computer programs. Programs such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and several financial record keeping programs are used on a regular basis.
FULL TIME Church Office Administrator/Secretary Job Description
Purpose: To serve the church by providing administrative and secretarial services to the Pastor and various committees and board.
- Receive and screen incoming calls, taking clear messages and returning calls, if asked, of the Pastor. Many times it just requires a "compassionate listener" for members calling that just want to talk. Many use the church office as a place to get information on other members who are ill or moved or for telephone numbers.
- Maintain an accurate and up to date calendar of church activities and meetings.
a. Co-ordinate all activities between church basement rentals (collecting fees with Trustee guidelines) meetings, activities, keep cleaning service informed if cleaning time interferes.
b. Co-ordinate between Pre-school activities and church activities
- Prepare weekly bulletins, monthly newsletters, various agendas for church council, elders, voters meetings etc, and make necessary copies.
- Maintain communication with shut-in members. Mail weekly bulletins, "HomeTouch" devotion and activity sheets weekly. Mail monthly newsletters.
- Pick up, sort and open mail, direct to appropriate persons in congregation, draft responses as required. Insure outgoing mail is mailed daily.
a. Newsletters and other bulk mail is taken to post office and packaged according to postal regulations.
b. Make sure money is kept on deposit at the post office to cover mailings and returned mail.
- Maintain up to date and organized files and records as required.
a. Such as membership information – mail personal letters to new members
b. Mail letters to Memorial donors
c. General bookkeeping for the congregation ie: co-ordinate with Financial Secretary each week to insure funds placed in proper accounts, make sure all bills are accurate and paid promptly, payroll for employees (church staff, Little Lambs) pay federal & state taxes & file tax forms, keep up to date with Concordia Plan Services on changes. File the employees Concordia Plan Retirement Fund.
d. Financial reports for congregation
e. Maintain records of Little Lambs expenses, paid by congregation, for monthly bill
f. Make out W-2 & 1099 forms and file by January 31.
- Keep in touch with the Trustees regarding items needing immediate attention.
- Keep Pastor informed of members with health issues so that contact can be made.
- Maintain current birthday and anniversary list for the Elders. Advise elders of new members, attendance issues, and other things necessary regarding the members in each Elder's group.
- Co-ordinate and order Altar flowers, making sure flowers are paid from the members.
- Enter attendance records weekly.
- Secure volunteer help when needed, bulletins, newsletters & other projects. Keep list of those that want to volunteer.
- Prepare monthly schedules for Greeters, Lay Readers, Acolytes, and yearly usher schedule.
- Weekly Power Point for church news before service begins.
- Work with Pastor and other church committees and boards as necessary in developing new ideas or special projects and in carrying out the ministry of the church.
- Keep informed on openings in Preschool to inform parents that call wanting information on Little Lambs – take enrollment forms and fees, especially during summer months.
- Keep office equipment in working order – order all office supplies – Altar Guild supplies – order items for boards Sunday School & Little Lambs when needed.
- Attend Council and Voters meetings.
- ShopwScrip ordering
- Maintain confidentiality of all formal and informal communications you may read, have or may overhear unless specifically permitted to share with others.
- Manage and update church website and all social media on a weekly basis
- Prepare Powerpoint for worship when volunteer is unavailable.
- Church membership is not required, but if he or she is a member, he or she must be faithful in worship attendance and in stewardship of time, talents, and treasures.
- He or she should attend Stephen Ministry training as soon as it is offered.
- Cooperate with pastor and others to do other nonspecific duties as needed
- Have the same attitude as Christ- that is-take on the form of a servant in the performance of your duties at St. John's.
NATIONAL DAY OF PRAYER BREAKFAST AND WORSHIP IS THURSDAY, MAY 4!!
Breakfast- 6:30-7am (biscuits and gravy, sausage, and scrambled eggs)
Prayer service- 7am (Prayer, praise, and singing)
Please join us!!
LOSING TO GAIN UPDATE 12 lbs in 21 days. PLEASE PRAY FOR ME THAT I CAN EAT "CLEAN" THIS WEEK AND CATCH UP TO STAY ON TRACK FOR MY GOAL!
Between Monday, April 3 and Friday, September 1, I plan on losing as much weight as possible and as is healthy for me to lose. My goal, the Lord willing, is 100lbs. which averages out to about 2/3 of a pound a day.
I would like all of you to consider sponsoring me with a pledge of money per pound. It can be $100, $10, $1, .50, or whatever per pound. The amount is up to you.
You will also have your choice of three different causes to donate to.
Lead a Child-- An organization that raises money for Lutheran churches and schools in third world countries so that kids can go to school, get a quality education, and learn about Jesus. (Go to www.leadachild.org to learn more)
Warren County Literacy Inc.--- Helping children achieve and grow in literacy in Warren County. Our main emphasis is the bookcase project in which bookcases and books are donated to between 60-80 children from the Youth In Need and Headstart programs in Warren County. We also have several "Little Free Libraries" around the county. (Check it out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Warren-County-Literacy-Inc-1763714847229903/?ref=bookmarks or http://www.warrencountybookcaseproject.org/
Warren County Pregnancy Option Center--- This will be a place where expectant mothers and fathers can go and get counseling, coaching and referrals to medical services they need so that they can keep their child or give it up for adoption. Our first annual banquet is Thursday, April 20 at 7pm at Holy Rosary, and I still need two people to fill the table. More info will be coming soon about a Facebook page and websites.
Please reply to this email if you'd like to pledge, and I will record it for you!
I started out at 336lbs on Monday, and I am down to 332 as of yesterday afternoon. Please pray for me and for this endeavor! Keep me accountable!
LITTLE LAMBS ENROLLMENT FOR THE 2017-2018 SCHOOL YEAR IS OPEN!!!!
Student must be 3 for younger class or 4 for older class by August 1.
$45 nonrefundable registration fee required.
Registration packets can be picked up at Little Lambs during school hours and in the church office during non-school hours.
OPERATION BACKPACK ITEMS COLLECTED FOR THE MONTH OF APRIL IS
Soup and Ramen Noodles. Place them in the receptacle marked "Backpack Blessings" in the narthex.
AGAPE DONATIONS ALWAYS ACCEPTED!!
Any nonperishable food items, diapers, toiletries, etc.!!
Perishable food items can be taken directly to Agape at 713 Powell St. in Warrenton. Call 456-4645 to find out when they're open or for more info.
YOUR KROGER CARD CAN EARN MONEY FOR LITTLE LAMBS
For RANDY SWEET AND HIS FAMILY as they mourn the loss of his mother Rose, who passed from death to life last evening.
For CAROL BRAZEE having sinus surgery Thursday.
For KEN FOSTER having back surgery Thursday.
For PAT KING, as she is recovering from knee replacement surgery at home.
For MARILYN FOSTER as she prepares for her retirement.
For PATTY SWEET'S MOTHER, Virginia, Patty's mom, who is on hospice care and is nearing the end of her life.
For DANIELLE MEINE KRAMER, whose leukemia is back after a brief respite from it. She had it for several years while in high school. (She grew up riding Karin's school bus to school.)
For Mim Dunn's nephew DAVID HAHN who is dealing with severe throat cancer.
For LOIS BOEGER'S MOM, EVELYN TOEDEBUSCH, who has been on hospice care for the last few months and slows down a little more every day, but is doing well.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "St. John's Group Email" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to email@example.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.